Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

  1. Everything that you are ever going to want to know about running shoes: Running Shoes Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have you considered the Critical Thinking and Skeptical Boot Camp, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

UK Podiatrist wanting to work in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by seharris89, Aug 26, 2011.

  1. seharris89

    seharris89 Welcome New Poster

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

    I have recently graduated in the UK from the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff (UWIC) as a podiatrist. I have work at home as a podiatrist in a private practice for 9 months, but after that would like to move to Australia and start working as a podiatrist.

    I have looked at quite a few websites but would like some advice on where to start. Is it true that I would have to sit exams before I can register? Also I understand you have to register in separate states for working, which states would I be most likely to get jobs?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Hiya Seharris :welcome: to Podiatry Arena

    alot of your question can be answer by contacting the folks here - APODC
  3. Tuckersm

    Tuckersm Well-Known Member

  4. Lilypad

    Lilypad Member

    Thanks, I may be interested in this in the future also. As a single parent I'd be a bit nervous about moving to a new country without knowing anyone, maybe it's a bit of a pipe dream.Would be interested in finding out the comparison in wages between the UK and Australia.
  5. Tuckersm

    Tuckersm Well-Known Member


    Public sector salaries vary between states, and start at $50k for a new grad and rise up to about $100K. Ontop of this are tax consessions that range in benefit from between $9K to $20K, depending on the sector (Community does better than hospital) and 9% employer paid superannuation. This is for fulltime at 38hrs a week with 4weeks annual leave.

    Private Practice (Which is where 80% plus of all podiatrists work) will vary much more, but starting salaries are around $60k, with many earning $100k plus.

    nb A$1 currently is worth 65p.
  6. Lilypad

    Lilypad Member

    Thanks Stephen, much appreciated "fulltime at 38hrs" sounds excellent!
  7. Sonial

    Sonial Active Member

    Hi Lilypad
    I am a new UK graduate, have accepted a job in Sth Oz and move out there at beginning of december. I simply looked at ads on the internet and obtained a job very easily for a growing private practice.

    You need to go through 3 stages to be able to work in Oz. First is to get your degree from the UK recognised by ANZPAC. This involves form filling and transcripts etc from your university. This is the longest stage of the process and took me 6 weeks. Documents must be certified by someone approved like a soliciter.

    The next stage is to be registered (like the HPC) with AHPRA. AHPRA will need your accreditiation letter from ANZPAC and other documents too. These must be certified by someone like a Notary Public. Once all documentation is received the registration can be as quick as 1 week.

    Both ANZPAC and AHPRA work on snail mail, ie they aren't electronic.

    The last stage is your visa application and this depends on your age. If you are <30 you can go on a working holiday visa. If you have a job and are older then a 457 is one way. There are about 150 different types of visa and you just need to see which you fit into. I have a 457 visa and once all documentation is received (including medicals) it took 2 days. The visa people are electronic (for 457 anyway) and will accept colour scans of documents that aren't certified. B&W scans must be certified. diac (visa folk) need the AHPRA registration letter before they will give you a 457 visa.

    You can apply for all 3 (ANZPAC, AHPRA and visa) at the same time. It just means they have to wait for each of the steps before proceeding.

    If you need any more help then PM me

    Good luck
  8. Lilypad

    Lilypad Member

    Thanks Sonia, sorry I haven't logged in for a couple of weeks.

Share This Page