Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

  1. Everything that you are ever going to want to know about running shoes: Running Shoes Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have you considered the Critical Thinking and Skeptical Boot Camp, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Requirements to practice in uk

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Sonial, Jun 23, 2013.

  1. Sonial

    Sonial Active Member

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I hope someone can help... I qualified in the uk in 2011 and have worked in Australia since then. I need to know where to look for the cpd and other requirements to practice in the uk especially CPR, LA updates, first aid? Anaphylaxis etc. I've spent the best part of a couple of hours looking on the web and still haven't found the info I need.

    Thanks in advance
  2. W J Liggins

    W J Liggins Well-Known Member


    First stop is the HCPC website. Then try the professional bodies.

    All the best

  3. twirly

    twirly Well-Known Member

    Hi Sonial,

    As Bill said + I hope the following will prove to be useful.

    HCPC Returners:

    CPR St Johns Ambulance.

    The Society of Chiropodists & Podiatrists (or whichever organisation you are with) run courses for CPD. South Yorkshire Branch hold monthly meetings & regular updates for CPD with guest speakers & also annual CPR update run by South Yorkshire Ambulance Service. If you are interested in attending our meetings or becoming involved with CPD please feel free to message me.
  4. Sonial

    Sonial Active Member

    Thanks for the info. Since I qualified less than 2 years ago and have been registered with ahpra and practising in oz, I would not need to do refreshers etc. we do cpr every year here and first aid every 3 years so I think I would be covered. We also do at least 20 hrs cpd. It does all seem a bit vague. You would think somewhere it should say something like " to be hpc registered and practice in uk you need CPR every year, first aid every ......" But no, that would be too easy!
  5. W J Liggins

    W J Liggins Well-Known Member

    Yes, you'd think so, but the HCPC is a sort of Quango (Quasi Autonomous National Government Organisation) - they dispute this - and are therefore vague. You do have to carry out CPD etc. but they do not define exactly what that is, it is for you to convince them!


  6. davidh

    davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

    As Bill said, check the rules with the HCPC, then contact your professional body to see what's on offer.

    The CPD has to be relevant to your current practice.
  7. Adam Thomas

    Adam Thomas Member

    Hi Sonial

    As each individual case is different, your first step is to contact the HCPC. They have a section on their website dedicated to international applications including the required forms, which can be found here: http://www.hpc-uk.org/apply/international/. Then, should you be required to do any further updates or training, they will advise you.

    Should you require further information or advice from the Society of Chiropodists & Podiatrists you can contact their CPD Officer Richard Underwood at ru@scpod.org. If you are moving to the UK to practice here is a link to details of Society Membership should you consider joining: http://www.scpod.org/help/see-the-benefits-of-membership/.

    Best of luck with your application.

    Best regards

    Adam Thomas - Communications Officer, Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists.
  8. W J Liggins

    W J Liggins Well-Known Member


    This is simply a repetition of what has already been advised but with a commercial thrown in - 2 days late. Do we have to put up with this sort of thing?

    Bill Liggins
  9. fishpod

    fishpod Well-Known Member

    not really an international application she graduated from the uk just apply to hcpc.Not a subject worth getting into a tis about.

Share This Page