Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

  1. Everything that you are ever going to want to know about running shoes: Running Shoes Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have you considered the Critical Thinking and Skeptical Boot Camp, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry in Spain

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by elmsj, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. elmsj

    elmsj Guest

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know whether UK qualifications (BSc Hons HPC reg) are acceptable for working in Spain? Are there many differences in Scope of practice? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

    Jo Elms
  2. javier

    javier Senior Member

    Hello Jo,

    For practicing legally podiatry in Spain you have to follow the next steps:

    1. To validate your BSc in Podiatry at the Education Ministry: http://www.mec.es/mecd/jsp/plantilla.jsp?id=111&area=titulos. It is easy since your degree is equivalent to the Spanish (3 years) and it have been achieved in a EU country.

    2. Once your degree is validated you have to register as independent contractor on the Ministry of Treasury.

    3. You have to register as podiatrist on the professional association where you will practice.

    The whole process takes between 6-12 months. I hope it helps.
  3. elmsj

    elmsj Guest


    Many thanks the info is much appreciated!

    Jo Elms

    CMIFAS Member

    Podiatry degree in Spain

    The Spanish degree now is 4 years and encompasses MIS Surgery as these techniques are WIDELY used in spain.

    Again we are left behind in this country. Spanish practitioners also have access to POM's including antibiotics.

  5. javier

    javier Senior Member

    You are wrong. Currently, the Spanish degree takes 3 years (3 años):


    you should know if you went to Fundacio Universitaria del Bages (http://www.fub.edu/), it also on their website.

    The Spanish degree, like the UK degree, it will take 4 years when the Bolonia process: http://europa.eu.int/comm/education/policies/educ/bologna/bologna_en.html

    will be finished (it is supposed on 2008).

    Also, you are wrong regarding drugs prescription. The law that it will regulate podiatrist's prescription is not still approved on the parliament. Podiatrists can write a pseudo-prescription, but it depends on the pharmacist to accept to dispense it or not.

    CMIFAS Member


    All the spanish Pods I know Prescribe Pseudo or not, it is still more than we have in England.

    Details of the 4th year of the course can be found at


    I should have made it clearer but the 4th year is available.
  7. javier

    javier Senior Member

    At the website it is stated: "Great strides and efforts are being made by this organization to have a diplomat course; a postgraduate one-year course on minimal invasive foot and ankle that is sponsored by AEMIS, a podiatry school, and a renowned university. Dr. Stephen A. Isham, MD and Esteban Galaz, MD will be included as part of the faculty for this diplomat course".

    A 1 year postgraduated course does not mean that the a pre-graduated course (BSc) takes 4 years instead of 3. Pre-graduated and post-graduated courses are different matters everywhere.

    Anyway, Dr. Stephen A. Isham lost his license in US for malpractrice, did not he?

    Interesting debate on http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=22

    CMIFAS Member


    No he did not, he is still practising and is renowned worldwide for surgery and revolutionising it.
    I would take it you are a Orthopod.
  9. carolethecatlover

    carolethecatlover Active Member

    Que Bien! Quando he finito mi curso en Australia, mi gusto mucho trabajar en Espana o Portugal, Sabe Vsd also sobre los cursos y qualificaiones de Portugal? Carole
  10. carolethecatlover

    carolethecatlover Active Member

    Catalan!! Ekkkkk!!!!!!!
  11. javier

    javier Senior Member

    What do you mean for "Catalan!! Ekkkkk!!!!!!!"?

    I reponse you in English because, currently, there is not a forum in Spanish in Podiatry Arena. You can check the website from the Associação Portuguesa de Podologia if you want to practice in Portugal.

    APP - Associação Portuguesa de Podologia
    Avenida Oliveira Zina, 18
    4440-556 Valongo
    Tel.: 224 225 337
    Fax: 224 225 337
  12. carolethecatlover

    carolethecatlover Active Member

    Catalan es lingua bella

    Es quey els prospectus del universitat es en catalan. Parleo poco, escribo nada. Carole y muchas gracias por information.
  13. javier

    javier Senior Member

    Quin enllaç vas visitar? o ¿Qué enlace visitastes? (I am sorry to use Catalan and Spanish instead of English, I could not resist the temptation ;) )

    Usually, Universities have multilingual websites.
  14. Leigh

    Leigh Member

    I have practised podiatry in the Uk for 10 years now. I am a member of the Institute of Chiropodists & Podiatrists. After my standard course, I went on to take my Diploma in Chiropodial Medicine. I was therefore, under the old system privately registered. I joined the HPC last year under the grandparenting scheme. I would like to work in Spain in the future. Can anyone tell me if this is possible?, Will these qualifications be recognised and will I need to take further qualifications ?
  15. Real Pod

    Real Pod Welcome New Poster

    I would not have thought so as the courses in Spain are the same as here and are recognised, i.e. Universities.
    The course you took is not recognised here by the HPC and you were just grandparented on so as not to cause too much aggro getting the HPC off the ground.
    I suggest you undertake a top up degree which IS recognised by the HPC.

    IMNO but it was time not well spent cutting corners with private courses, you will only have to do the recognised courses now or stay at the level your at.
    IMNO again.
  16. Leigh

    Leigh Member

    My "Private Course" qualification seem to have stood me in good stead for the past 10 years here in the UK! Done good professional work, earned a good living.
    Since posting my query I have been in touch with both the HPC and fellow Chiropodists from my Institute who are currently working legally in Spain. Paying their taxes and insurance.
    I understand with a private qualification they cannot work within the Spanish Health service, but can work in Private Clinics....(some under the title of "Health Pedicurist"). Most of them chose this option back in the UK because they preferred to work in the private sector and had no interest in the National Health Service system. There are Chiropodists from many different Countries working there, all with varying types of qualification. I have also visited the NARIC website which gives advice on just this subject. Rather than advice on the "Old Chestnut" of State and non-state registration....(although I was under the impression that the governing body was the same for us all...the HPC)....I was hoping to get some advice from someone working in the Spanish system who actually has experience in this area.....Thanks for your imput anyway
  17. Dieter Fellner

    Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

    Re: Podiatry in Spain - foot surgery

    Spanish colleagues

    What are the prospects for a UK trained Podiatric Surgeon working in Spain, Health Service or Private? Are there openings in either or both? I could use some of the Spanish sun !

  18. Leigh

    Leigh Member

    Re: Podiatry in Spain - foot surgery

    No Problema Dieter
    Come and work with me ! I'll do the boring mundane work, (that clearly I am only qualified for)...........and you can do the really interesting stuff....lol
    Leigh :)
  19. javier

    javier Senior Member

    Dear all,

    This information comes mainly from the article "Podiatry in Spain" published in the journal Podiatry Now (Sep-Oct 2006).

    Regarding your questions (podiatry is called podology in Spain, thus podiatrists are podologists):

    Podology is mainly based in private practice. Most Podologists work in their own offices, in nursing homes and or in group practices. Podology is not included on the Public Health Service. Although, two autonomous communities (Spain is divided in 17 autonomous communities), Andalucia and Asturias, have created Podiatry services for treating diabetic population through their own public health networks. There only a handful of hospitals (both public and private) that include specialist podiatry services for treating the growing diabetic population.

    Private insurance usually covers routine foot care, but there are an increasing number of podiatric procedures covered by some insurance (mainly surgical procedures). Foot orthoses are not covered by public or private health networks, although some private plans offer some kind of reimbursement policies.


    In 1988, a superior degree in Podology was approved and the course was extended to a full time 3 year format to achieve the “Diplomado en Podologia”. Practitioners who qualified under the two year system were required to pursue a conversion course to meet the new standards. Essentially, unlike the UK at this time, there was only one nationally available course in Podology.

    Currently there are eleven Spanish Universities that offer the Diploma de Podologia. Some of them are in the public sector, others private. The average of annual cohort being around 50 students from every University thus, there is currently no shortage of Podiatrists in Spain - for a country with a population of 40 million there are around 5000 Podiatrists.

    The undergraduate course covers similar subjects as in the UK: general podiatry, biomechanics, orthotics, pharmacology, surgery, anatomy and biochemistry, etc. Like all health studies, Podology is mainly practical with a large amount of time devoted to practical and clinical skills. Under current legislation, all Podology Schools must have an in-house podiatric clinic for clinical training purposes. The misuse of the official title whilst studying Podology is a serious offence, that can carry a large fine and up to two years of imprisonment. Postgraduate training and opportunities are also available - surgery, biomechanics and diabetic foot management courses are popular being run by Universities and professional organizations.

    Scope of practice

    Like the UK, Podologists in Spain are allowed to treat all kind of foot conditions and to prescribe foot orthoses and other devices to correct foot alignment and biomechanical malalignments. Many practitioners make their own orthoses, but its manufacturing is strictly regulated by an Act based on Medical Device Directive (93/42/EEC). The main contrast between the UK and Spain is the scope of surgical practice. Podologists are permitted to perform any kind of surgical procedure - rearfoot and forefoot but practitioners are not allowed to perform any type of foot amputation.

    Practising in Spain for foreign graduates

    You need to:

    1. Convalidated your diploma at the Education Ministery in Madrid http://www.mec.es/mecd/jsp/plantilla.jsp?id=3&area=titulos

    2. Join as member with the local Podology Association or Colegio Profesional where you will be practicing. All Professional bodies are regulated by law in Spain - they are called Colegios Profesionales (Professional Colleges). There are seventeen professional Colleges of Podology in Spain (one for every autonomous community). There is also a General Council of Professionals Colleges of Podology where every local college is represented. It is mandatory that every Podologist to be registered with their local professional college to practice.

    3. Register as an independent contractor with the tax agency if you will be working for your own.

    4. If you will open your own surgery, you have to ask for a licence.

    "Health pedicurist" does not exist in Spain. You can be a pedicurist without scope of practice because is part from the services offered by hairdressing salons or you are a fully podologist/podiatrist practitioner. There is no HPC or other such bodies in Spain.

    I hope it helps to clarify doubts and misunderstandings.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  20. Miles Cowan

    Miles Cowan Welcome New Poster

    Hola- thanks for all the information: i have been trying to find this stuff out for sometime.
    I have a few other questions:
    1) Does anyone know where there is a podiatry course run in Andulacia? And do you know the website?
    2) Are there any public hospitals in the costa del sol that employ podiatrists?
    3)Are there any spanish podiatrists out there that would like to have an english osteopath working in their clinic?
    4)Can anyone explain what is happening with the Eupopean integration of health care professions with regards to qualifications and regulation i.e. is there a European regulater/ governing body setup or not?
    5)Are there any sort of exchange programmes between spanish schools and english schools of podiatry?
    6) Are any of the podiatry course fees payed for by the government?
    7) Are there any spanish podiaty websites that advertise positions for associates or assistants i spain?
    8)Where do they adverise jobs for podiatrists in the public sector if at all?
    9) It was mentioned that there are only a few provinces that provide podiatry services in public hospitals and these tend to be mainly focused on the treatment of diabetic pathologies;...is the scope of practice likely to broaden to all aspects of podiatry practice and are there becoming more jobs available for podiatrists throughout spain within public hospitals?
    10) It was also mentioned that there are plenty of podiatrists in spain- does this suggest that the market is a bit swamped out in certain places?

    Hasta leugo
  21. javier

    javier Senior Member

    Hello Miles,

    Regarding your questions:

    Universidad de Sevilla (public university) http://www.cienciasdelasalud.us.es/

    No. Podiatry is not included on the public health network for now. Although, there are some exceptions related to diabetic foot units.

    I do not know. You should look for.

    It depends on each country. In Spain, you have to address to Education Ministery in Madrid http://www.mec.es/mecd/jsp/plantill...=3&area=titulos

    I do not know. You should ask for Erasmus programmes.

    Only for Spaniards based on your/your family incomes. But, Universidad de Sevilla's School of Podiatry is public thus their fees are regulated by the government. It is not expensive going to University in Spain.

    Check Colegios Profesionales webites. http://www.colegiopodologosandaluci...option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=69

    See above response about Podiatry an Public Health network.

    It is the million euros question. Nobody knows for now.

  22. miss m

    miss m Welcome New Poster

    Practising in Spain

    Hi guys

    Can anyone give me information about registering and practising podiatry in Southern Spain?

    I have been unable to find a Spanish Podiatry Council on the web but surely there must be one!

    Any info would be fantastic! ---- jobs, private practice, where you get supplies, cost of insurance etc etc etc

    Many thanks in anticipation!

  23. miss m

    miss m Welcome New Poster


    The links you have posted on here regarding registering to practice podiatry in Spain do not seem to be available now.

    I wish to work in the Malaga/Marbella area, can you direct me to any websites regarding registering? I have Uk BSc(hons) 1st class Podiatry, 10 years NHS experience and a post grad cert clinical practice for healthcare practitioners. I want to work in the private sector now.

  24. javier

    javier Senior Member

  25. miss m

    miss m Welcome New Poster


    Thank you very very much for your help Javier, I really appreciate it!
    Muchas gracias.
  26. Romeu Araujo

    Romeu Araujo Active Member

    Correction: that info is not up-to-date. Here: www.appodologia.com; http://appodologia.com/app/contactos/
  27. Leigh

    Leigh Member

    Can anyone living and working in the Valencia /Alicante region of Spain assist me with my application to the Illustrious Collegio please.
    I have visited their offices twice and have had my qualifications officially translated in to Spanish, but they are requesting more information. I am not completely clear on exactly what they require. Unfortunately although I have a moderate vocabularly in Spanish, I am far from fluent and the ladies in their office have no English and the website is in castellano and Valenciano only. I would be most grateful for some guidance on this, regards in anticipation, Leigh Patterson.
  28. dazmondocus

    dazmondocus Member

    Hi All, I know this is an old thread but I'd really like to get some up to date info on registration in Spain as my wife has been offered a post as a teacher in Andalucía.
    Obviously I'd like to get going on registration etc asap, but none of the above links are working.
    Does anyone have the current links? I've gotten as far as Ministry of education, culture and sport website but am now going around in circles, google translate not really helping on this one!

    Any help on this would be very much appreciated, Thanks

Share This Page